Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lucia De Lammermoor


We just finished Opera Idaho's production of Lucia de Lammermoor. To make a long story short it is about a woman, Lucia, forced to marry a prince to save her family's reputation. She is madly in love with another man, a lower classman. On her wedding night she goes mad, kills her brand new husband, comes downstairs to the party in her bloody nightgown and continues her madness until she passes out. She then dies and when the man she loves finds out she is dead, he kills himself. It is set in 16th century Scotland so the costumes were of course gorgeous. Aside from the Mikado, I think this is my favorite opera so far. During the first day of dress rehearsal our costume coordinator fell ill and I ended up having to take over. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off until it was over but I really did enjoy myself. I dressed the lead, Lucia, played by Rochelle Bard. She is a beautiful person and has such a stellar voice. Super nice and personable. You don't get that very often in professional singers, so I feel incredibly blessed. If and when our house photographer posts his pictures of the production, I will post them on here. Until then, here is Rochelle.

0 comments: