Friday, February 29, 2008

Fun times with the Circus...

We lived through Gypsy. I actually really enjoyed the show, despite how the first day went. We all show up at 745 for a 8 am load in. As we are pulling up we thought it was weird that there was no truck in the dock or waiting in the parking lot. Hmm.... another 45 minutes go by and finally we call the Tech Director for the show. Their bus has broken down with all the crew on it and they got seperated from the trucks and have no idea where the trucks are. Hmm... shouldn't you have called us when you broke down..... at any rate, the trucks showed up about 30 minuted later and we dumped two of them and had crew break before their bus showed up. Finally we get everything together and our wardrobe head was STRANGE! She had that whiny valley girl accent that drives everyone insane.... and she was from texas... don't really get it but whatever. She actually got a lot more pleasant as the days went on. We had a few onstage changes hiding behind set peices waiting together and talked quite a bit. I dressed Louise or "Gypsy Rose Lee" both as a child and the adult character. Yes, the show is about a girl who becomes a stripper, and there are several other stripper characters but it was a lot of fun, I promise, and the stripper costumes besides gypsy's were hilarious!!! We had 7 kids total in the show and they were so cute and very delightful!!! You don't get that very much!!! After loading out Gypsy, about 20 of us bombarded IHOP at 1 am to fuel up. After eating we got right back to work hanging, gelling(color), and circuting a light plot from the very depths of H-E-L-L-O Operator and finally left the building at 630 am..... 3 of our guys had to be back at 9am and we were back a few hours later to focus the lights with the lighting designer from H-E-L-L-O... hmmm I am seeing a theme here.... until 10 pm and we were back this morning at 9. The paycheck is going to be awesome but I am tired, my patience with our designer has worn out, and yes I am going to say it.... I am very very crampy.... thats a recipe for a fun time if I have ever heard one. :) Watching ballerinas the size of my pinky doing endless crunches backstage doesn't make me any more happy either...lol!!! The ballet production is called Little Tricker the Squirrel meats the big bear (or something like that) and Red Pony..... we have a huge 25 foor bear puppet that cost close to 40,000 dollars, it gets stored without its head so the way its positioned makes it look like a big gorilla. I will try to get a few pictures later and post them. Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you all with my rantings!! Loves to everyone, we hope to emerge from our black hole in about a week in a half.... poor poor piper dog!!

1 comments:

Ravid said...

Monae! I absolutely remember you. This is Rachael Allred, previously Rachael Robinson. Your job sounds so cool. I was a dance major at BYU and we had to take a course in the stage production aspect of it. Very interesting - although the stage manager man, or whatever his position was, was somewhat unwilling to let us have a full rein on things. Our project for the semester was to design the lighting for someone else's dance composition. Anyway, thanks for commenting on mine!